Friday, April 11, 2008

Intro To Bike 5 Bike Blog

Bike 5 is my personal bike blog. I've had a few different bikes in my lifetime but back December 2004 I put a Gary Fisher Wahoo on layaway from Scotts Ski and Sports in Pocatello Idaho. My girlfriend had left me and I have no car.(I still don't). I had plans to ride it back and forth to my job. A couple of months later I went and paid off my layaway. I got a damn good deal on the bike. I paid about $300 for it. It was a year end close out plus it was the last year of the Gary Fisher Wahoo before they switched to the genesis geometry.

This bike was my first REAL bike that was not some cheapo bike from the mass department store.

The day I left Scotts Ski and Sports with my new bicycle it was a very nice day out. Sunny and clear skies. I rode about 3 miles thru downtown Pocatello and then conncted up with part of the greenbelt trail.

I did not even ride test ride my bike. I sat on it in the store and that was it. When I left Scotts Ski and Sports after paying it off it was the first time I'd ever rode it. My bike has trigger shifters on them. When i started riding I shifted up a few times but when i wanted to shift down i had to stop and figure out how. Stupid I know but I had never used trigger shifters before. I swear by them now. I HATE gripshifters. I always seem to mishift when going uphill with grip shifters because of the way I tend to grab the bars. I never have that problem with my trigger shifters.

I really enjoyed out easy my bike seemed to ride. It was not a "chore" to ride like bikes I'd had in the past. A few minutes after leaving the bike shop I became hooked on riding my bike. I still like to ride for fun but I use it daily as a commuter here in Twin Falls Idaho where I have since moved to.(again).

I use it daily as my transportation to work and school. I have no car. My bike has about 1400 miles on it now. My goal is a new bike when it hits 5,000 miles.

This bike blog will be used as a way to network with other bikers and to hopefull be able to encourage people to buy their bikes from a reputable bike shop or even BikesDirect.com and not not to buy cheapos from Wal-Mart.

No comments: